Thursday, September 27, 2012

Blog Introduction & Some of My Own Music

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo, French Poet

There are many reasons for why we listen to music. We choose certain artists, songs, genres to listen to depending on our various moods. High tempo hip-hop reflects an energetic attitude while a slow ballad usually reflects a somber mood. The state of our emotions at any certain time can be accompanied by a certain piece of music. Think about movies and TV shows. What would those shows or movies be like without music? You might not think about it, but the music that accompanies each scene provides emotional cues to make the audience feel a particular way. Suspenseful music is used continuously through-out the rising action and climax of all horror/thriller movies. Alternatively, beautiful orchestra movements are heard often through-out emotional dramas. It can be said that it is our music that shapes our emotions and our emotions that shape our music.

My intent is to post at least one song a day (hopefully) that expresses how I feel at that particular time on that particular day. I will write about why I chose the song and why I like it. As a musician, I generally express myself through my playing. Sometimes a song can say a lot more about a person than any words can describe. Here are a few of my own original songs:


  • "So Funked Up" is an upbeat song with a funky jazz feel. The song was inspired by the song "The Dynamo of Volition" by Jason Mraz. This song is played in B minor which can sound very sad when played a certain way, but the structure and tempo of these two songs add an upbeat, fun sound.



  • Alternatively, "The Prelude" is an original song that sounds very slow and somber. This is an example of another song played in a minor key that sounds significantly different. A prelude can be defined as a short instrumental composition, free in form and resembling an improvisation. It is also defined as a piece preceding a more important movement. Just like winter resolves to spring, this song resolves to another song of mine.


  • "Ourea" is a soaring instrumental piece in the key of E major. Songs in E Major almost always inspire positive emotions (joy, hope, excitement, etc...). Ourea is defined as the goddess of mountains. I wrote this song after a hike in the woods behind my parents house. It is a reflection of the inspiration I found out in nature on what was a very beautiful day during the summertime.

  • Lastly, "Follow the Leader" is a jam I've been playing around with recently. This song structure changes from a major key to a minor key many times through-out the piece. Inspiration for this song came from listening to bands such as The Grateful Dead, String Cheese Incident, etc... I was also inspired by All Good Music Festival which is shown in the video. Overall, this song has an upbeat, positive feel.

 

So that is some of my music. The following posts will contain songs from artists that inspire me daily. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment